Category

Fitz Architects News

Slingley Fields -Seaton Village

By | Fitz Architects News | No Comments

After gaining outline planning approval in late 2018 for 25 self-build plots in Seaton Village, County Durham the first few individual plots have had their reserved matters approved in late 2019.

This highly regarded village merges into the rolling East Durham countryside and the client has named the development Slingley Fields. This exclusive luxury development is designed around a central green.

The development site is reserved for self-builders who seek bespoke luxury detached homes with a contemporary style. The plots are generous in size, low in density and formed to compliment the unique countryside setting.

Plots 2, 18, 19 and 23 all now have full approval.

Plot 11 has just been submitted and hopefully we will gain approval in February 2020.

Plot 18 is the first to start on-site and is due to be completed in the summer.

Remembrance 2019 – Sunderland Memorial Wall

By | Fitz Architects News | No Comments

In late 2009 we were asked to help out several families whom had lost relatives in conflict to design a commemorative structure at the site of the Sunderland Cenotaph on Mowbray Road. The memorial wall is dedicated to servicemen and women from Sunderland killed since World War II. The concept of our design was to construct a wall based on soldiers standing at various heights together as ‘Brothers in Arms’ with subtle rises and falls between where individual panels are inscribed with every conflict since the second world war. Under each conflict there is a small historic note as an educational source for the City.

The wall was built with funds raised by the Brothers in Arms organisation as a tribute to the community’s fallen heroes, and there is an annual roll-call for more names to be added to it.   

Construction started in the summer of 2011 and the wall was completed and unveiled at the memorial service in November 2011. The wall was constructed from solid grey granite which was manufactured and shipped from China. Local construction company Slayco installed the wall.

Every year now it is embraced as an integral piece of the Sunderland memorial parade on Remembrance Sunday.

Colmans Seafood Temple, South Shields wins Best Small Commercial

By | Fitz Architects News | No Comments

We are proud to announce that our Colmans Seafood Temple project has won the Best Small Commercial Award at the Northern LABC Awards 2018!

The dilapidated, original structure was restored and extended to create a new seafood restaurant and a landmark building. A new glass wall sits inside the original columns to form a unique, panoramic bar and the new glazed extension forms a restaurant with fantastic views over the beach and beyond. The structure curves to a point to allow views of the sea from all around the building.

Colmans Seafood Temple – South Shields

By | Fitz Architects News | No Comments

Open for business

Our recently completed Colmans Seafood Temple project is now opened to the public.

The original, locally listed Gandhi’s Temple has been saved, restored and extended to create a new seafood restaurant. A glass wall now sits inside the original building to form a unique bar area.

The extension forms a restaurant with panoramic views of the beach and beyond. The building curves to a point to allow views of the sea from all around the building. The takeaway is positioned beneath.

The history of the building

The neo-classical style building served as a shelter and public convenience and became a landmark structure on the South Shields foreshore and the building is on the Local List and considered a locally significant heritage asset.

The building was originally constructed by South Tyneside Council in 1931, with the Gazette carrying a picture of its construction well underway on 1st July 1931.

On 18th September 1931, the Gazette carried a further picture of the building ‘nearing completion’, with a caption stating that the building would be officially opened the following day, giving Saturday 19th September 1931 as the official opening date.

Almost no change has occurred to the building throughout its life, standing today almost exactly as originally built. The main alteration, and perhaps the reason for the citing within the Local List of the building as a bandstand, has been the removal of seating and partitions from within its upper storey. This partitioning presumably allowed unrestricted views, whilst at the same time providing a windbreak for users within the open-sided upper storey.

The construction of the building was overseen by James Paton Watson CBE, the Borough Engineer and Surveyor for South Shields Borough Council between 1928 and 1933.

This is a historically significant link in terms of his later importance in the history of urban design in Britain, particularly with relation to the post-war revival of Plymouth in his role as Plymouth’s City Engineer and Surveyor.

The brickwork of the structure is of red textured bricks, arranged with horizontal stepped detailing.

The first floor comprises a colonnade of six Doric columns carried on square dies over a stepped plinth. Above this is a simple plain frieze below a square cornice with plain attic parapet in brick. Between the columns is a low wall with inset brick panels topped by a moulded coping. The copings, as with the columns, frieze, cornice, dies and plinth, are all cast concrete. These have all been painted cream, but show Paton Watson’s ‘snowflake’ finish beneath the paint, with white flecks in a buff concrete. At the corners of the building, the brickwork design gives the impression of rusticated quoins.

Colmans Seafood Temple South Shields

 

Nicholas Avenue

Architects Ramside Park

Ramside Park 15

Darras Hall

Whitburn

Ashbrooke

Architects Fatfield House

Fatfield House

Ramside Park 9

Allison Gardens

Ramside Park 11

East Boldon

Beaumont Wynyard

Church Lane

Sunderland Road

Tollgate House

Ramside Park 12

Ashby Villas

Cedars Ashbrooke

Arcitects Sinclair Meadows

Sinclair Meadows

Cleadon Infants

Architects Newcastle Road Baths

Newcastle Road

Linwood

The Close

The Drive

Colmans Seafood Temple

Fat Buddha

Marine Walk

Antler Newcastle

The Beach House

Gateshead

Centre West

Echo 24

Aldi & Majestic Wine

SAFC

Brothers in Arms Memorial

Nile Street