Monthly Archives

June 2017

Colmans Seafood Temple – South Shields

By | Fitz Architects News | No Comments

Open for business

Our recently completed Colmans Seafood Temple project is now opened to the public.

The original, locally listed Gandhi’s Temple has been saved, restored and extended to create a new seafood restaurant. A glass wall now sits inside the original building to form a unique bar area.

The extension forms a restaurant with panoramic views of the beach and beyond. The building curves to a point to allow views of the sea from all around the building. The takeaway is positioned beneath.

The history of the building

The neo-classical style building served as a shelter and public convenience and became a landmark structure on the South Shields foreshore and the building is on the Local List and considered a locally significant heritage asset.

The building was originally constructed by South Tyneside Council in 1931, with the Gazette carrying a picture of its construction well underway on 1st July 1931.

On 18th September 1931, the Gazette carried a further picture of the building ‘nearing completion’, with a caption stating that the building would be officially opened the following day, giving Saturday 19th September 1931 as the official opening date.

Almost no change has occurred to the building throughout its life, standing today almost exactly as originally built. The main alteration, and perhaps the reason for the citing within the Local List of the building as a bandstand, has been the removal of seating and partitions from within its upper storey. This partitioning presumably allowed unrestricted views, whilst at the same time providing a windbreak for users within the open-sided upper storey.

The construction of the building was overseen by James Paton Watson CBE, the Borough Engineer and Surveyor for South Shields Borough Council between 1928 and 1933.

This is a historically significant link in terms of his later importance in the history of urban design in Britain, particularly with relation to the post-war revival of Plymouth in his role as Plymouth’s City Engineer and Surveyor.

The brickwork of the structure is of red textured bricks, arranged with horizontal stepped detailing.

The first floor comprises a colonnade of six Doric columns carried on square dies over a stepped plinth. Above this is a simple plain frieze below a square cornice with plain attic parapet in brick. Between the columns is a low wall with inset brick panels topped by a moulded coping. The copings, as with the columns, frieze, cornice, dies and plinth, are all cast concrete. These have all been painted cream, but show Paton Watson’s ‘snowflake’ finish beneath the paint, with white flecks in a buff concrete. At the corners of the building, the brickwork design gives the impression of rusticated quoins.

Colmans Seafood Temple South Shields

 

Nicholas Avenue

Architects Ramside Park

Ramside Park 15

Church Lane

Ramside Park 12

Wynyard Executive House

Architects Fatfield House

Fatfield House

Whitburn Executive House

Arcitects Sinclair Meadows

Sinclair Meadows

Ramside Park 9

Ashby Villas

Tollgate House

Nile Street

Infants

Architects Newcastle Road Baths

Newcastle Road Baths

Linwood

The Close

The Drive

Boulmer Lea

Colmans Seafood Temple

Fat Buddha

Marine Walk

The Beach House

Gateshead

Centre West

Echo 24

Aldi & Majestic Wine

SAFC

Brothers in Arms Memorial

New Bespoke House – Whitburn

By | Fitz Architects News | No Comments

Planning has been submitted for a bespoke house on a cliff-top site in South Tyneside boasting unrivalled views down the north-east coast of England.

The site at 17 Markham Avenue is set on the cliff top, boasting unrivalled east and south facing views down the north-east coast of England.

The building is laid out to exploit the views, keep the owners privacy from the school at the rear, allow the neighbour sea views from their side window and respect the Northumbria Water easement on the existing drainage run passing the boundary of the site.

On the ground floor there is a large garage with room for a car and ample storage space. Living accommodation at this level includes an ensuite double bedroom and a kitchen-living-dining room with dual aspect onto the south facing garden.  The kitchen includes sliding glass doors that open up to a covered terrace protected by the projecting lounge above.  All non-habitable rooms are located on the north (rear) elevation.

The garden is kept private by a dense hedge from the main entrance to the house.  The entrance is accentuated between one of three peaked gables, rotated on a fixed radius to give a different view from each room.

From the entrance hall the stair rises and turns to face the sea.  This glazed flat roof space allows access to the master bedroom and also the hallway to the other bedrooms and lounge. Travelling along the hallway gives a view through the lounge to the sea and the occupiers will pass a covered roof terrace enjoying the main views.

The upper lounge is triple aspect with openable roof lights at high level for natural ventilation and cooling.

The material palette is simple and traditional but arranged in a contemporary manner.  White render to the first floor of each gable will compliment a buff multi brick beneath which is also used to the sides and rear.  It is the expanse of glass and the contrasting dark grey cladding that give the building it’s cutting edge, complimenting the dark framed windows and slate roof.

Each south-facing, first floor room is dramatised by huge glass windows which follow the 50 degree roof pitch and framed by the dark grey cladding which masks the material change between elevations.

Nicholas Avenue

Architects Ramside Park

Ramside Park 15

Church Lane

Ramside Park 12

Wynyard Executive House

Architects Fatfield House

Fatfield House

Whitburn Executive House

Arcitects Sinclair Meadows

Sinclair Meadows

Ramside Park 9

Ashby Villas

Tollgate House

Nile Street

Infants

Architects Newcastle Road Baths

Newcastle Road Baths

Linwood

The Close

The Drive

Boulmer Lea